English Chinese (Simplified) French Japanese

Book Appointment with Loh Eben Ong

Book Appointment


From the list below choose one of our FAQs topics, then select an FAQ to read. If you have a question which is not in this section, please contact us.


Singapore Deed Poll Generally

What is a Deed Poll?

In Singapore, a Deed Poll is a legal document signed by a person in the presence of a practising solicitor for change of his name in his Identity Card (NRIC). It has to be signed by at least one parent if the person changing his name is below 21 years of age (Minor).

Please note that the Deed Poll does not by itself change the name in the NRIC. He has to attend personally at ICA to effect the change of his NRIC.

Under Singapore law, a person changing his name has to replace his Singapore Identity Card within 28 days (if he has one).

Important Note: Loh Eben Ong does not warrant nor represent that by virtue of our preparation of a Deed Poll on your behalf based on your chosen new name(s), ICA will not take issue with your new name(s) and you may be required to vary or amend your Deed Poll (and additional charges may be incurred).

Why do I want to change my name?

These are some of the common reasons that a person wishes to change his/her name:-

1. Adopted a New Name of your choice or preference
2. Correct a wrongly spelt First Name and/or Surname
3. Insertion of married name
4. Insertion of baptism name
5. Insertion of religious name
6. Change the order of the existing Name
7. Add, delete or change the Chinese Character(s) of your Name
8. Add, delete or change the Tamil Character(s) of your Name
9. Delete your Hanyu Pinyin name [eg. (Chen WeiLing)] in your Identity Card
10. For auspicious reasons
11. Add, delete or change surname of an adopted child (minor)
12. Change your mind on your child's name (minor) after registration of his or her name at the Registry of Birth

How should I choose my New Name?

We do not provide advice on your New Name as it is a very personal choice. Only you can decide.

However, these are the general tips that you may wish to consider in choosing your New Name:-

1. you may decide whether to put a New First Name (eg. John) in front or rear of your Existing Name of "Tan Ong Wee", so that you New Name in your IC will appear as "John Tan Ong Wee" or "Tan Ong Wee John". Some may wish to add a comma "," so that your New Name will read as "John, Tan Ong Wee" or "Tan Ong Wee, John".

2. if you are those that have Hanyu Pinyin name in brackets appearing in your IC [eg. Tan Ong Wee (Chen WangWei)], you may wish to remove the Hanyu Pinyin name so that you need not state them in your future official documents.

3. Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) may object to your New Name for policy reasons, such as using a famous Politician's name, adoption of "Sir", "Datuk", etc. If in doubt, always contact ICA if they object to your proposed New Name. Visit ICA website at http://www.ica.gov.sg/ .

4. for auspicious reason, you may wish to engage a Fengshui Master in proposing suitable new name(s).

5. for your New Name, it is preferably not be too long as it will be tedious for you to write your New Name in the official documents.

How do I add my married name to my NRIC?

If you are not changing your existing name, and wish to add your married name to your name (eg. Mrs Ong MeiYing), you may use your Marriage Certificate to reflect the change and do not need a Deed Poll.

Where do I need to go to change my name in my Identity Card?

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
Call at Counter 1, IC Section Citizen Services Centre
3rd Floor, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
Singapore 208718
(Next to Lavender MRT station)

Operating Hours: Weekdays - 8 am to 5 pm
Saturdays - 8 am to 1 pm
Tel: (65) 6391 6100
Website: http://www.ica.gov.sg

What is Deed Poll Service at LAW.com.sg and DeedPoll.sg?

Loh Eben Ong & Partners have provided this prompt, innovative and convenient Online Legal Service since 1998, and many Singaporeans, Singapore Permanent Residents and foreigners have utilised this legal service. You can access this online service at Deed Poll Online at any time in the comfort of your home or office or with your smart mobile device.

With effect from June 2004, to enhance the convenience for our users, we have introduced an Offline Deed Poll Submission service. Applicant may download any one of our Deed Poll Offline Forms and submit to us via email, post or fax. With effect from 2014, you can submit your Deed Poll application via your smart mobile devices.

Why my new name appearing in my Deed Poll is not approved by ICA?

Your name is something that you are passionate about, and we do not advise you on your chosen name as it is very personal and subjective. At times, despite having prepared the Deed Poll based on a client's new chosen name or requirements, it may be rejected by ICA for various reasons, which is totally beyond our control.

In engaging us, please be reminded that we do not prescribed the rules and policies in respect of name change policies in Singapore, and will not know or claim to know that we are fully aware of the relevant policies. To the best our knowledge and belief, many change of name's policies are not made known publicly, and we always try our very best to assist our clients as best we can.

We do not warrant or represent that by reflecting your chosen name in your Deed Poll, ICA will automatically accept the proposed change of name.

My GCE's O'level Certificate is in my old name, how do I prove that it belongs to me if I change my name?

If you have changed your name in your Identity Card, you may be concerned that your Educational Certificate (eg. GCE's O' Level) under your old name may be invalid or people may doubt that it actually belongs to you.

It is important that you keep your Deed Poll safely so that you may produce it to evidence that you have actually changed your name, and is the person stated in the Certificate.

Can I change my name in my Identity Card (Adult or Child) whilst overseas?

The Singapore Embassy overseas is unable to assist in these matters. By Singapore law, an IC holder who changes his name should apply for a replacement identity card within 28 days. Replacement of IC has to be done in person at ICA.

For any issue relating to this, please contact ICA at www.ica.gov.sg directly.

[Note: subject to verification from authorities]

Can I change the name in my Birth Certificate?

Adult and Child (Over 1 Year's Old)

If you are an adult or your child (minor) is more than one (1) year old, you or your child can only change the name in the Identity Card. If you are a Singapore Permanent Resident, you can only change your name in your Singapore Blue Identity Card, and not your foreign Passport. Please check with ICA on their latest policies.

Child (Less Than 1 Year's Old)

However, if your child is less than one (1) year old, the amendment of a child's name in his/her Birth Certificate (BC) may be done only within 1 year from the date of birth. No Deed Poll is required for this. Either of the parents must call personally at the Registry of Births & Deaths (ICA Building Level 3) with his/her NRIC and the child's original BC to effect the amendment.

The BC will be cancelled and a certified birth extract with the amended name will be issued to the parent. A total fee of $60.00 will be charged ($30.00 for the amendment and $30.00 for the birth extract). Please check the latest fee with ICA.

For more information or the exact policies, please check with Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) [formerly known as Singapore Immigration & Registration (SIR)] or visit their website at http://www.ica.gov.sg

Can I change my name in my Marriage Certificate with a Deed Poll?

Deed Poll is used only to change the name in your Identity Card, and cannot be used to change your name in your Marriage Certificate.

What is the fee charged by Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) to change name in IC?

S$60.00 (payment by NETS) (please check with ICA on their latest fee charges).

Can I change/insert my Chinese name in my IC using Chinese characters that are not found in any Chinese dictionary?

No. Under the Regulation 4 of the National Registration Regulations, the Chinese name must comprise only of Chinese characters found in the Chinese dictionary recognised by the Registrar.

We are unable to advise nor warrant that any propose Chinese name will be recognised by ICA.

Where can I read ICA's procedures on Change of Name?

Please visit ICA's weblink at http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=140&secid=72

Can I change my race with a Deed Poll?

No, you can't change the race with a Deed Poll. Loh Eben Ong is unable to assist you in changing your "race" as appearing in your Identity Card. Please direct this query directly with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) on this issue.

Based on media reports, on 28 December 2009, ICA announced that parents are required to declare the race of their new born child on the Birth Report Form with effect from 2 January 2010.

Parents of mixed race marriages will now have the option to decide if the child should follow the race of the father, mother or an acceptable mixed race in our record. The information will be recorded provisionally until the child turns 15 years old and is required to register for an identity card.

[Caution: Subject to verification and current policies as may be imposed by ICA and/or other relevant authorities]

What documents do I need to change my name?

To change your Name in your Identity Card, you would require either one of the following:-

(a) a Deed Poll prepared by a Lawyer, and you have to sign the document in the presence of a Lawyer in Singapore, OR
(b) a Baptism Certificate for insertion of baptism name, OR
(c) a Religious Certificate for insertion of religious name, OR
(d) a Marriage Certificate for insertion of married name only.

Important Note: If you have any doubts, it is important that you clarify with Immigration and Checkpoints Authority's (ICA) on their current requirements or policies before making a Deed Poll application through LAW.com.sg or DeedPoll.sg or our mobile App. Please note that we do not warrant nor represent that by virtue of a Deed Poll, ICA will automatically change your name exactly as appearing in your Deed Poll. ICA may take issue with your new name, which is beyond Loh Eben Ong's control.

Can I change my religion with a Deed Poll?

No, you cannot change your religion with a Deed Poll.

I am a foreigner, can I use a Deed Poll to change the name in my foreign Passport?

For changing of name in Foreign Passport, you should always check with the Foreign Embassy or Consulate Office in Singapore on whether the foreign immigration authority will accept a Singapore Deed Poll prior to making an application for a Deed Poll.

At a Foreign Applicant's [non-Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident (Blue IC)] request, we may assist him or her to prepare a Deed Poll, but we do not warrant that it will be accepted for the change of name in his or her Foreign Passport by the foreign jurisdiction / authority.

We have prepared Deed Polls for foreigners who wish to change their names in their Foreign Passports, and some foreign jurisdictions do recognise Singapore Deed Poll for change of name.

The onus is yours to check on this issue before applying for a Deed Poll. We are unable to advise you on foreign immigration policies.

Why do I have problems submitting through or using your website?

If you face issues (technical or otherwise) in using our webforms, or utilising some of our online features, often times, these are either due to human error or technical issues beyond our control.

Webpages or mobile app contain numerous codes and scripts to enable them to appear and run properly in an internet web browser or app. There are numerous internet web browsers, such as Microsoft's Internet Explorer; Google's Chrome, Apple's Safari, Apple's iPhone/iPod/iPad Safari and Firefox. Each webpage can appear and/or function differently on different internet browser. Different versions of a web browser may also affect the appearance and/or functionality of a webpage.

Our website should be able to work properly on most major web browsers (mostly the later versions). However, based on our experience, there are still occasional technical issues that may arise as different web browsers are built differently. Therefore, they may have compatibility issues, and much is dependant on the scripts used in a particular webpage. 

Other than web browsers' compatibility, the issues (in using the functions) may be due human error (ours) or resulting from updating/upgrading of our software/scripts in this website. We do perform maintenance / upgrading works from time to time and fairly regularly.

Some of problem Issues that may arise are:-

  • printing issue through the print icon
  • email issue through the email icon
  • pdf issue through the pdf icon
  • certain fields do not appear in forms
  • cannot submit web-forms, eg. a certain field kept asking for uput despite entry
  • webpage appears distorted

If you face any issue, you may wish to try to use a different internet browser, or email us to let us know so that we can resolve the issue expeditiously. Do let us know which (1) website, (2) webform, or webpage, (3) which field(s) in form, and (4) the issue faced. 

Your feedback is extremely important to us, as our objective is to keep this site as interactive as possible, but at the same time, useful and user friendly to our many users.


Singapore Deed Poll Charges

How do I get a quote on your charges for Deed Poll (Change of Name)?

Thank you for your interest in our Singapore Deed Poll service, and we have assisted numerous Singaporeans, Singapore Permanent Residents and Foreigners in changing their names with great satisfaction.

If you wish to find out our charges, please submit your request through this link at Deed Poll Quote or SG Lawyers Mobile App to obtain a prompt quote sent to your email address. Alternatively, if you wish to obtain a verbal quote, please contact our office at (65) 6338 1810 (during office hours).

After you have gotten your Deed Poll, as a post Deed Poll service, we offer a simple Online Application for Additional Certified Copies of your Deed Poll if you have lost your original Deed Poll or require additional certified copies.



Changing Name for Minor (under 21 years)

I just did a Deed Poll to change the name of my son who does not have a NRIC, what should I do?

A Deed Poll does not by itself automatically change the name of your child in the Singapore Government's official records. Once you have signed a Deed Poll in our office and received the original Deed Poll, the onus is on you as the parent(s) to notify the relevant authorities and/or organisations (eg. ICA, Banks, Schools).

If your child does not have a NRIC or Singapore Identity Card, it is good practice for the parents to do the following (suggestions):-

(A) change the name of your child in the Passport or apply for a new Passport for the child and the new name will be updated at ICA records; or

(B) go to Registry of Birth at ICA to update the name with the Deed Poll (note that if your child is above 1 year old, you can't change his name in the Birth Certificate, but just ICA's record).

If the child has a NRIC or Singapore Identity Card, then you should attend at ICA to change his name within 28 days from the date of the Deed Poll.

Caution: This FAQ involves government's policies and procedures, and we do not make any representation or warranty that the above is accurate or free of errors. Please check with ICA directly on their policies and procedures.

Does my child need to attend at your office?

For the signing of the Deed Poll for a minor child (under 21 years' old), the child needs not attend at our office (but required to attend at ICA). Only the parents (one or both as the case may be) signing need to attend, and he/she/they has/have to bring along the child's birth certificate and NRIC (if available), and his/her/their own identity document (IC or Passport).

I have the sole custody of my child, can I still dispense with the consent of the other parent?

This is a common question where the parent having sole custody of a child (under 21 years) wishes to change the child's name or surname.

Based on ICA's policy, both parents should must to the change of the minor child's name, unless the parent (not signing the Deed Poll) has died or is uncontactable.

In our view, as ICA placed importance in a child's name, even though you may have sole custody of the child, you should still seek the consent of the other parent for his/her consent unless he/she has died or not contactable despite reasonable efforts.

For Deed Poll where only 1 parent is signing the Deed Poll, we require that parent to sign a declaration that he/she has gotten the consent of the other parent, or the other parent is not contactable or has passed away. This is strictly for our internal record/reference, and not for ICA.

Notwithstanding that we have prepared the Deed Poll for changing of your child's first name(s)/surname, we do not warrant or represent that ICA will effect the change.

I am a single mother, and I want to change the surname of my child under 1 year old?

Typically, you do not need a Deed Poll to effect the change of name in a child's birth certificate if the child is less than 1 year old. However, difficulty may arise if you are the only natural parent (mother) stated in the child's birth certificate and the child's surname is yours, and you wish to change the surname of the child to that of another person (eg. your boyfriend).

Based on experience (subject to error and caution), ICA may not allow (whether with a Deed Poll or not) the single mother to change the surname of her child to another person's surname unless that other person takes a DNA test to evidence that he is the natural father.

You are strongly advised to seek ICA's directions before engaging us to prepare your Deed Poll, and if we have inadvertently prepared a Deed Poll for you and you have issues with the change, we will not refund any fee paid by you.

Can one parent sign the Deed Poll for my minor child?

One parent can sign a Deed Poll to change his or her child's name, but must obtain the consent of the other parent unless he or she has passed away or is uncontactable. The parent who signed the Deed Poll and attend at ICA will need to do the requisite Declaration at ICA. If only 1 parent is signing the Deed Poll, we require that parent to sign a declaration that he/she has gotten the consent of the other parent, or the other parent is not contactable or has passed away.

Please be advised that when changing the surname of a child with a Deed Poll signed by 1 parent (where there are 2 parents stated in the child's birth certificate), ICA may take issue with or object to  the proposed change of surname.

Notwithstanding that we have prepared the Deed Poll for changing of surname, we do not warrant or represent that ICA will effect the change.

What are ICA's requirements for changing the name of my Minor Child via Deed Poll?

From 1 June 2007, to effect a change of name of a minor (under 21 years), Immigration Checkpoints Authority (ICA) requires one parent to complete a form to declare that the minor’s other parent has also consented to the name change, in addition to producing the Deed Poll. If the other parent is uncontactable, the parent who has executed the Deed Poll must state this information on the Declaration Form at ICA accordingly.

Where both parents signed the Deed Poll, no declaration of consent is required.

The Declaration Form is to be completed at ICA and not at Loh Eben Ong's office. However, where a Deed Poll is signed by 1 parent (except for single parent as evidenced by the child's birth certificate), that parent must sign a Declaration Form for our own internal record.

If my child (minor, more than 1 year old) has no Identity Card yet, how can I use the Deed Poll to reflect his/her new name?

Amendment to the name on the child's Birth Certificate (BC) will not be allowed after 1 year from date of birth.

Should parents wish to change the child's name, they may obtain a Deed Poll to effect the change. The Deed Poll should be produced together with the BC for official transactions (eg. school registration, application for passport etc) for the new name to be reflected. The Deed Poll should also be produced during the child's IC registration for the new name to be reflected on the NRIC.

If the child has no NRIC at the time of making the Deed Poll, it is advisable to change or endorse the new name in the child's passport at the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA).

Why is there a need to obtain the consent of parents for change of name of a minor, in addition to producing a Deed Poll?

Based on ICA's policy, the child’s name is an important symbol of his identity and his relationship with his parents. Hence, the consent of both parents must be sought before the child’s name can be changed.

The exception is where the other parent has died, or he/she is uncontable, and a declaration of this fact is required at ICA.

It is recommended that both parents sign Deed Poll to alleviate the issue of consent by both parents.

Can a Minor (under 21 years of age) execute a deed poll to change his/her name by himself/herself?

No. For minors below 21 years of age, the Deed Poll must be executed by at least one parent. With effect from 1 June 2007, the consent of the other parent also has to be sought for the change of name unless the other parent has died or is uncontactable. It is recommended that both parents to sign the Deed Poll to avoid any complications, such as ICA's refusal to accept the Deed Poll for certain reasons, or disputes between both parents.

I just did a Deed Poll for my child, does it mean that ICA is aware of his change of name?

The Deed Poll is a physical document executed in a law firm, and the law firm has no obligation to communicate the change to anyone. The onus is on you to notify the various authorities of the change.

If the child has a NRIC, you should change his name at ICA with Deed Poll within 28 days from the date of the Deed.

If the child has no NRIC (for those 1 year old and above), in our opinion, you should either (1) notify the Registry of Birth of the change so that ICA's record is updated; or (2) apply for a new passport for the child with his new name using the Deed Poll.


Deed Poll Procedures

Flowchart of Singapore Deed Poll Process

Singapore Deed Poll Change of Name Process

When I attend at your office, how long does the whole process take?

Subject to the number of appointments at the time and availability of lawyers, typically, the whole process usually takes about 15 to 30 mins.

I am overseas, can I change my name in my Passport?

Alteration of Name in Passport whilst Overseas

If you wish to include your married name or legal change of name in your passport, please go to the Consular Section of the Singapore Embassy in the Country of your stay with the following:

  • originals and photocopies of your current passport,
  • originals and photocopies of your Singapore identity card
  • originals and photocopies of your marriage certificate (inclusion of married name)
  • originals and photocopies of the Deed Poll (legal change of name)
  • letter indicating your request.

Together with the above documentation, the Applicant will have to submit a new passport application to ICA through the Embassy with the relevant application fee.

Your request will then be forwarded to Singapore for processing. You will be notified when the new passport with the new name is ready for collection at the Embassy. The processing will take 4-6 weeks.

[Caution Note: the above may be inaccurate and/or contains errors or may be outdated at the time of your reading, and kindly do not rely on the same without obtaining proper legal advice based on your scenario. Please note that government policies and laws change from time to time. If you chose to rely on the above information, you are doing so at your own risk.]


I am overseas, can I change my name in my Identity Card overseas?

Can I change my name in my NRIC when I am overseas?

The Singapore Embassy or Consulate Office overseas are unable to assist in these matters. By Singapore law, an IC holder who changes his name should apply for a replacement identity card within 28 days. Registrants can choose to register online via Singapore IC Online.

Alternatively, Applicant can call in person at:

Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
Counter 1, IC Section
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
(Next to Lavender MRT station)
Singapore 208718

Replacement of IC has to be done in person at ICA. Applicants who are overseas are advised to go to ICA in Singapore to alter the name in their ICs. The Applicant will have to produce the original deed poll, IC, passport ,one IC photo and a replacement fee. The new IC will be produced and issued to the Applicant within a day.

Caution Note: the above may be inaccurate and/or contains errors or may be outdated at the time of your reading, and kindly do not rely on the same without obtaining proper legal advice based on your scenario. Please note that government policies and laws change from time to time. If you chose to rely on the above information, you are doing so at your own risk.

How long does it take for you to prepare my draft Deed Poll?

Upon receipt of your submission, we usually require about 1 to 3 working days (depending on office workload, etc). Once you have submitted, you may contact (65-6338 1810) our office during our office hours to schedule an appointment. Our staff will also contact you to schedule an appointment.

Appointments are strictly subject to the availabiliy of our lawyers, and we are at liberty to reschedule or cancel an appointment by giving you short notice (2 hours prior to appointment time) in the event of a sudden unavailability of our lawyers. In that event, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

During holiday or festive seasons (such as Christmas, Chinese New Year, school holidays), the time frame may be longer.

If you require a Deed Poll urgently, please do let our staff know, or state it in the "Message" section of our Online Form.

What do I need to bring when I attend at your office?

If you are an Adult, please bring along your original Singapore Pink Identity Card (NRIC) / Passport / NS Green IC, or Singapore Blue Identity Card (for Singapore PR).

For Minor (child under 21 years), the Parent who is signing the Deed Poll has to bring his/her IC or Passport, and the Minor's original Birth Certificate to evidence the relationship. We reserve the right not to process the Deed Poll if  the original Birth Certificate is not produced, or reschedule another appontment.

If the Birth Certificate is not in the English language, the Parent shall bring the original Birth Certificate with the certified English translated version.

How do I make payment for my Deed Poll?

Payment of our charges is to be made at our office when you attend to sign the Deed Poll and by Cash only. There is no NETS or Credit Cards payment facilities at our office. Therre are several ATM machines in the vicinity of our office.

How long does it take to change my Identity Card at ICA?

The new IC will be produced and issued to you within a day.

[Note: subject to policies of authorities]

When should I replace my IC after I have changed my name?

You should apply for a replacement identity card within 28 days after you have changed your name by way of a Deed Poll.

I am Overseas now, can I apply for a Deed Poll?

We do not process Deed Poll application to be signed overseas. We require the applicant to be in Singapore to sign the formal Deed Poll in the presence of one of our lawyers.

However, if you are currently overseas and intend to return to Singapore soon (temporarily or permanently), you may apply for a Deed Poll (online or offline) first, and inform us of your intended date of return.

After application, please send us a cheque for S$50.00 (this is only a deposit or partial payment) issued in favour of Loh Eben Ong & Partners, being the non-refundable deposit, via post to our address.

[Note: on policy issues, please check with the Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA)]

What are your terms of engagement?

Please read our terms and conditions at Terms .

Post Deed Poll

What should I do after I've done a Deed Poll?

What should I do after I have done a Deed Poll?

You may wish to refer to our Information Sheet for Deed Poll (Change of Name) on What should I do after I have done a Deed Poll. The information stated in the Singapore Deed Poll's Information Sheet is strictly for general information and not meant to be exhaustive or comprehensive.

It is important to that you should keep your original Deed Poll safely as various authorities (including immigration authorities overseas for migration purposes) may require sight of the original Deed Poll or a certified true copy thereof in lieu of the original.

We have received enquiries to retrieve copies of old Deed Polls done by other law firms in Singapore for those who had lost their original Deed Polls, but we can't do so as their Deed Polls are not in our archive database.

Please also visit ICA's Link on Update Change of Name. (Correct as at 27 April 2013)

FileDescriptionFile sizeLast modified
Download this file (What Should I Do after Deed Poll.pdf)Post Deed PollWhat to do after Deed Poll?176 kB15-05-2013

Is there a need to update my name in my property title document?

The choice of whether you wish to update your new name in your property title document (eg. Certificate of Title, Subsidiary Strata Certificate of Title and Lease) is yours. If you wish to effect the update, please read this FAQ.

However, if you choose not to update immediately after your change of name, you can do so when a subsequent instrument or instruments [eg. Total Discharge of Mortgage, Mortgage, Transfer (sale)] reflecting your new name is/are lodged against your property title at the Singapore Land Authority (SLA).

Your solicitor acting in that subsequent transaction will at the same time of the lodgement of the subsequent instrument furnish to SLA the necessary documentary evidencing the change of name (eg. certified true copy of your Deed Poll or NRIC reflecting your new name).

Caution Note: The above policy/procedure is subject to change by SLA and/or law, and the reader is advised not to rely on the same or seek proper legal advice.

What if I lose my Deed Poll, can I get a replacement?

If you have lost your Deed Poll, you cannot re-sign another Deed Poll to replace the earlier Deed Poll. You may however approach the law firm that prepared the Deed Poll to obtain a certified true copy of your Deed Poll by its lawyer at your cost.

For Deed Polls that were witnessed by our lawyers, you may request our office for a certified true copy of your Deed Poll at certain cost subject to the same being in our archive. We do not however warrant or represent that a certified true copy will be made available to you, and our decision is final and conclusive.

Should I inform the Banks, and other private institutions of my new name?

As your name (in English characters) in your Identity Card may have changed, it is advisable to notify the Banks and private institutions or bodies which you have dealing with of your new name. The onus of notifying such change of name lies with you. For verification, these institutions may require sight of the original Deed Poll.

Must I inform the other Government Departments after I have changed my name in my Identity Card?

Information on an NRIC holder's change of name will not be transmitted to other governmental departments. It is advisable to notify the relevant government departments of your new name, and they may require to have sight of the original Deed Poll for verification.

The onus of reporting the change to government organisations, departments, statutory boards (such as Central Provident Fund Board) and authorities (eg. Singapore Land Authority) with whom he/she has dealings with lies with the holder.

How do I update my name in the title deeds of my property?

If you own an immovable property (private real estate or hdb flat), you may wish to update the name appearing in the title document of your property. This can be done after you have updated your new name in your Identity Card. You may enagage a law firm to assist you to submit an Application to Note Change of Name at the Singapore Land Authority (SAL) with the original Deed Poll or certified true copy thereof (by a lawyer) as supporting evidence.

If Property is Mortgaged

If your property is mortgaged to a Bank, you may need to to request the Bank to temporarily release the title deeds (namely, the Certificate of Title, Subsidiary Strata Certificate of Title or Subsidiary Certificate of Title, as the case may be) to enable you to update your name in the title document at SAL. Your lawyer representing you will write to the Bank for its consent to release the original title document.

I Wish to Engage Loh Eben Ong, what are your Charges?

We do assist client to update his or her names in the title document. In order for us to notify you of our charges, please let us know if your property is mortgaged, and if so, who is the Mortgagee (eg. Bank).



Do I need to change my name in my Passport?

After the amendment of the name in the holder's NRIC, the onus of whether or not to have the change similarly updated in the Singapore Passport lies with the holder.

To be consistent with the name in your IC, you should change the name in your Passport. You can do so at ICA after you have changed your name in your IC. We strongly advise you to update the name in your Passport before you book your travel ticket or travel overseas. However, if in doubt, please contact ICA directly.

Please note that this query relates to government policies, and we can only provide guidance and shall not be deemed as advice whatsoever.

I have an air ticket issued in my old name, and I just changed my name in my IC, will my air ticket or travel be affected?

This is a common question asked, but in our opinion, there are no easy answers. For the most precise or accurate answers, please direct your queries to the relevant immigration authorities, airlines or travel authorities.

We will attempt to answer the various scenario, but caution that any reliance on our answers or opinions are at your own peril. As we are not the relevant authorities or body, we are unable to provide precise opinions.

Ticket in Old Name & Passport in New Name (IC in New Name)

If you have an air travel ticket issued in your old name and you have already changed your name in your Passport to your new name, you may face problems at the immigration counter as the name in your air ticket differs from that in your passport.

Both Ticket & Passport in Old Name (IC in New Name)

If you have an air travel ticket in your old name and your Passport is also in your old name (but your NRIC in your new name), there is a possibility that you may be able to clear immigration. Note that the Singapore Immigration Officer may still query as to the inconsistency of your name in your Passport and your IC Name and raise objection to your clearance (we are unable to know or advise as this is the immigration policy).

However, if there is a drastic change in your old and new name, you may be asked of the discrepancy in the names in your Passport and your NRIC at the immigration counter. You are strongly advised to update your name in your ticket and your passport to your new name before you travel. 

Notwithstanding the aforesaid, once you have changed your name in your NRIC, please ensure that your name in your Passport and travel ticket are conssistent with that in your NRIC before you travel. The onus is on you to procure the change of name in your passport.

Do I need a certified true copy of my Deed Poll?

In our Deed Poll Online form, there is a section on application for certified true copy of your Deed Poll by our lawyer. This is optional, and a matter of preference. You may wish to request for certiified true copy of your Deed Poll for backup purposes in case you lose your original Deed Poll, or if various organisation or authority requested for it.

When do I need a certified true copy of my Deed Poll by your Notary Public?

If you are required to evidence the change of your name by an overseas organisation or authority, the organisation or authority (eg. Immigration Authority) may request for a notarised Deed Poll to be furnished. Please check with the relevant organisation or authority on what is required prior to approaching us for a "notarised Deed Poll".

Common requirements from the relevant authorities include (not exhaustive):-

(1) copy of Deed Poll certified true by Notary Public with his official Notary stamp; or
(2) copy of Deed Poll certiifed true by Notary Public together with a Notarial Certificate to be authenticated by the Singapore Academy of Law; or
(3) as in (2) above, but with further legalization by Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Singapore) and/or the relevant foreign embassy in Singapore.

Please note the prescribed rates for notarial services are chargeable.

Name Issues

Issues relating to names for Deed Poll and Change of Name in Singapore

What are unacceptable names?

Name or names that we consider vulgar, offensive, blasphemous or unsuitable or against the laws of Singapore.

We will also not accept an order for a Deed Poll that includes a name that would make people believe you had a conferred or inherited honour or title e.g. Dato, BBM, Sir, Lord, Judge, Lady, Baron, Baroness, Duke, Duchess etc. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into as to our reason for rejection.

Although we may prepare and witness your Deed Poll based on your instruction, we do not warrant nor guarantee that your new name will be acceptable to the relevant authority for registration.

Can I delete my hanyu pinyin name appearing in brackets?

If you are born in certain years, you may have a hanyu pinyin name appearing in brackets in your Identity Card or Birth Certificates. You may remove or delete the hanyu pinyin name in brackets entirely in your NRIC if you wish to do. This can be done with a Deed Poll.

Should I add my Christian Name in front or at the rear of my existing name?

This is a relatively common issue raised, and ultimately, it is a matter of your personal choice. Some would prefer their new first name or Christian name to appear in the front and some at the rear.

For example, if your current name is Ong Tan Wee, and you wish to adopt a first name of "John" in addition to your existing name of "Ong Tan Wee". There are various ways your new name can appear in your new Identity Card, such as:-

arrow1 John Ong Tan Wee
arrow1 Ong Tan Wee John
arrow1 John, Ong Tan Wee
arrow1 Ong Tan Wee, John


I am not baptized, can I add a Christian Name with a Deed Poll?

You need not be baptized to add a Christian Name or given name or first name to your original name. The use of the term "Christian Name" can sometimes cause confusion to individuals.

For example, if I wish to add "John" to my existing name of Ong Tan Kong, you need not be baptized or be a Christian or Catholic to add "John" to your name. A more apt term to use is "First Name" instead of "Christian Name".

However, we understand that ICA may allow you to add your Christian Name as appearing in your Baptism Certificate without the need of a Deed Poll. 

Can I change my surname or family name with a Deed Poll?

If you are an adult, you may change your surname (also known as family name or last name) with a Deed Poll.

For a minor, the parent should obtain the consent of the other parent of the child prior to changing the surname of the child.

For a single mother of a child under 1 year old (where Birth Certificate only showed the mother's name), you may not change the child's surname in the Birth Certificate to a third party's surname with a Deed Poll, and you are strongly advised to approach ICA for advice.

Caution Note: this section contain government policies and procedures and the answers are subject to errors or inaccuracies, if any.


Loh Eben Ong LLP
112 Middle Road #07-00
Midland House
Singapore 188970
Tel: +65 6338 1810


Who's Online

We have 20 guests and no members online